For each of the turtle cupcakes, you will need:
- one lime fruit slice
- two gumdrops, one green, one the color of your choice
- two mini chocolate chips
- skewer or toothpick
- sharp knife
- one gummy ring
- white frosting and blue food coloring to make blue frosting
- one baked cupcake
- frosting knife or butter knife
*Find the gummy items that you need at a Fuzziwig's Candy Factory!
To make the turtle cupcakes:
- Mix your favorite cake batter together and bake the cupcakes as instructed by the recipe.
- While your cupcakes are baking, mix any white frosting with blue food coloring to make blue frosting for the cupcakes. The frosting will be the ocean that the turtles are swimming in.
- After your cupcakes have finished baking, wait 10 – 15 minutes for them to cool and then frost the cupcakes. If you would like waves in your frosting, twirl your frosting knife in circles as you frost.
- Start making your turtles by taking a lime fruit slice and using a spoon to remove the center. Split the outer edge in two. These will be your front fins. Split the center in half with the spoon to create an arc. These will be the two rear fins.
- For the shell you will need a gumdrop and a gummy ring. Remove the bottom of the gumdrop with a knife and place the gumdrop in the center of the gummy ring.
The body pattern is illustrated below.
- For the head, you will need one gumdrop, a skewer or toothpick, and two mini chocolate chips. Remove the bottom of the gumdrop like you did for the shell. Poke the toothpick through the middle of the gumdrop, making two holes. Insert the chocolate chips into the holes top first, so you see the bottom of the chocolate chip as the eye of the turtle.
The final pattern is illustrated below.
- Place the pattern into the frosting, pressing slightly so that the gummy pieces stick to the frosting.
Repeat the process as many times as you need to and enjoy! These turtles are a great addition to any party or event. Let us know how your turtle cupcakes turn out!